Saturday, May 30, 2009

whole wheat spaghetti with fresh herbs, tomatoes, and feta

I sure love being able to snip fresh herbs from the garden. I'll be ecstatic when the basil is ready, but in the meantime I'm doing fine with parsley, oregano, chives, and rosemary. The parsley is doing great in the greenhouse. I think the chives would like it to be a little cooler. The oregano had an interestingly yellow tint to one of the stalks. I see the same thing on a bell pepper plant. They seem quite vigorous and healthy, just with a bit of a jaundiced cast. Perhaps it's a low light phenomenon? A few minutes of googling didn't help.


I threw together a quick pasta using parsley, oregano, and chives. I think the Garofalo whole wheat spaghetti from Costco is pretty good. The texture and structural integrity are acceptable, unlike a lot of whole wheat noodles, and the flavor is compatible with plenty of sauces. I tossed with the chopped herbs, diced tomatoes, feta, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Very tasty, and even better the next day. The punch of the oregano works well with the slight nuttiness of the spaghetti.

No comments: