Wednesday, March 25, 2009

fourth brew (Belgian witbier), part 4

Tonight I checked on the witbier to see whether it was ready for racking to the secondary fermenter. Peeping through the airlock hole I was surprised to see a healthy mound of krausen still atop the wort. I drew some from the spigot and measured the gravity at 1.025 (assuming that's a good place to get a sample). That still has a ways to go. I'll give it several more days and check again.

Flavor was pretty unpleasant. It was very cloudy, almost opaque, and I'm sure I got a mouthful of yeast and other crud from the bottom. The sweetness is about what I'd expect for that gravity. The spice notes were obvious. It looks like this is going to have a much more coppery hue than some of the pale yellow commercial witbiers I've tried. Speaking of which, I think I still have a Hoegaarden in the fridge. Not for long!

No comments: