Sunday, April 26, 2009

more beds and planting

I've now built 8 + 8 + 16 + 16 + 16 + 16 + 16 + 24, or 120 square feet of planting beds. Fifty-six of that is in the greenhouse. All are now filled with Mel's Mix, although of slightly varying recipes, and are either planted or ready for planting (mostly the latter, by far).

Today I planted from seed:
  • leeks (greenhouse)
  • he-shi-ko green onions (greenhouse)
  • white radishes
  • red radishes (greenhouse and outside)
  • carrots
  • beets (greenhouse)
  • Swiss chard (greenhouse and outside)
  • sugar snap peas
  • asparagus beans
  • Armenian cucumbers
  • cilantro (greenhouse)
Most of the radishes and carrots are actually Nathaniel's and Isaac's, in their own outside squares. They did the planting but I suspect that I'll do the watering.

I'm uncertain whether there is adequate sunlight in the location where I planted the cucumbers and peas. They were the best available spots against a north wall, though. We'll just have to see. I was sure it wasn't going to be good for the beans, so I actually bedded those in a trench dug in the sunniest part of a front flower bed, in a soil and compost blend.

New and existing transplants are tomatoes, dill, oregano, chives, gerbera daisy, and parsley. Already planted from seed were basil, greenhouse cucumbers, and nasturtiums. It's apparently best not to mix cucumbers in a greenhouse, so I didn't. I feel like I'm a few weeks late with most of this, but on the other hand perhaps we'll yet get snow. It's only April.

No comments: