Tuesday, December 16, 2008

second brew (red ale), part 4

I needed to lower the level in the carboy so I picked up a wine thief and a measuring tube. Gravity is at about 1.014 or 1.015. The measuring tube is nice, but it takes an awful lot to float the hydrometer. Even one more extraction and the level in the carboy will be too low. I'm not sure I should keep replacing the lost beer with water. Perhaps I should measure directly in the carboy with a sanitized hydrometer? That seems less risky than relying on a sanitized wine thief, measuring tube, and hydrometer then pouring the beer back.

I'd say that the flavor has improved somewhat. Tracey liked it. What I perceived as a metallic tang the other day is not so evident. The overall flavor is more complex but still pretty simple, which I suppose is to be expected. I'm pleased with the way it's going.

No comments: